We’ve got the front end stripped. Frame, engine block, and transmission – are pretty much all that is left in the car. 10 head bolts and the crank pulley are all that remain of the head gasket replacement. The oil looked good. The coolant looked awful. All the fluids are out and a heap of cat litter is on the floor soaking up the drips. I hope to have the head off, cleaned, and back together by Saturday.
The struts and bushings have arrived. The front suspension is now in a purple box in the back of the garage waiting for painting, cleaning, and re-assembly. The rear suspension still needs to be stripped out. This can all be removed with a 21mm, 18mm (steering ball joint), and 13mm (strut tops and swaybars) socket wrench. We could – “If we had to.” – replace the entire front suspension in a 20 minute service.
The engine wiring harness is now in James’ hands. I found that someone had used butt splices to hold the camshaft sensor plug on. There was exposed copper wire when I took it off the motor. I can only imaging what would have happened if the computer stopped knowing where the cam was. James will asses, re-solder and re-tape in order to survive rally conditions. He also needs to build a harness for the KC Daylighters.
My goal: Maine Forest Rally. I don’t yet see the light at the end of the tunnel – but I think we can pull it off. We press on…